Alicia here. You’re probably all wondering, who would take on a new career at 7 months pregnant. Let’s just say I like to make my life as complicated or as simple as possible depending on the day. Let me explain.
My husband is in the United States Army. So unlike most communities, many spouses in our community stay home for several reasons. The biggest reason being this: it is really hard to find a decent job when you move every 3 years or more! Like really hard. The last interview I went to was awkward to say the least.
The last interview I went to was awkward to say the least.
My interviewer actually asked if my husband was okay with me going back to work. (wait, I was supposed to ask? Oops. Failed that wife test) I was over qualified for the receptionist position. I did not get a call back.
Fast forward to now. I am in the last semester of a paralegal certification in hopes that I will be more attractive on the job market even though I am the dreaded military spouse that will leave your company as soon as her husband’s career comes a calling! I am only being half way sarcastic. I’m a great employee, unless my hubs gets orders and we have to move. Then I’m gone because I go where he goes!
Let’s be honest! I really want my own career and to get out of this house! I love spending time with my children but I also love working. Always have! Plus, it’s good to have your own thing when dear hubby is on the other side of the world fighting bad guys and you are thousands of miles away from family in who knows what tiny town.
The fun thing about finishing your paralegal certification is the internship you must complete to graduate. Fun right?! Let’s get hands on with this!
Well guess who got knocked up with a due date before the internship is over. Yours truly…my timing is impeccable guys. What can I say?
So without further delay, here are 5 awkward and awesome things about being the new and very pregnant intern in court:
1) What shoes am I supposed to wear?! Seriously. I have a million pairs and none of them are close toed business shoes made for the ever expanding swollen foot of a pregnant paralegal in a court room setting. I went with size 11 Versace knock offs from Payless. My feet are already big, so when you have to size up for pregnant bloat, you make lemons in to lemonade ok?
2) This is the comfiest business attire I have ever worn! I mean no one expects the prego chick to show up in a blazer and slacks, so I just get creative and keep it polished.
3) You will be very concerned about packing snacks to make it through the day. Then you will realize your seat is next to the judge’s bench with a microphone and you stare at said snacks for the next two or three hours. Would it be weird if I ate cheese stick in the bathroom? Asking for a friend…
Would it be weird if I ate cheese stick in the bathroom? Asking for a friend…
4) Everyone will offer you a chair. You will take that chair because you know this won’t last forever.
5) People will constantly ask you your due date. Then act shocked when you tell them it’s less than three months away. You just get used to it and move on.
Then act shocked when you tell them it’s less than three months away.
Guess what? Pregnancy goes by faster when you are busy, and anything that will make time pass at this point is worth my while. This is baby number three for us, so I know the drill. Your back hurts just as bad when you are at home as it does at work. Until next time loves!